My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.traditionalhardcorecook.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Recipe: Steel Cut Oats, An introduction to soaking grains, just in time for the weekday breakfast menu!

One of the first steps I ever took to improve my diet and my health was to start eating more oatmeal. It’s full of fiber and has been credited with everything from fighting cancer to reducing risk of heart disease. But, what I didn’t know until recently was that oatmeal, like all grains, is high in phytates. Phytates are acids that when digested with our food, bind to many of the nutrients and minerals we need, making them unavailable for use. Some might argue that this isn’t as much of a problem in a society where we get an overload of food (and thereby nutrients); however, just about everyone knows someone with vitamin and mineral deficiencies—in particular, I’m thinking of several friends who have trouble getting enough iron. And even if you don’t have a deficiency, it’s easier on the waistline to get more nourishment from fewer calories!

 
To get the most nourishment from our food (and I will argue from experience, feel less hungry after eating a reasonable portion), it’s a good idea to do something to break down the phytate content in your grains. Cooking will break down some of the phytate content, but soaking overnight with an acid (like the acid in yogurt, whey or lemon juice) breaks down much more. (They are also broken down by sprouting grain, but that’s not part of this recipe.) Soaking grains reduces hard to digest proteins, like gluten, by breaking them down and“pre-digesting” them. (Though, if you have a food sensitivity, please do not just take my word for it! I'm a cook, not a nutritionist! If you are sensitive to grain proteins should look further into soaking and consult a professional to see if it’s a good option.)

 
As a side note, I found that after I started soaking my oatmeal, it took about a week or two to adjust. After that, a smaller portion kept me fuller, and gave me what can only be described as a general sense of wellbeing after breakfast. Soaking oatmeal is very easy and shortens your morning cook time!

 
Night Before Ingredients:

 
  • 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (you can use regular oats, I just prefer these)
  • 2 Cups of water
  • 2 tablespoons of plain whole yogurt or whey (I never measure, but make sure you get at least 2 Tbs).

 
Directions for Soaking: Mix oats, water and yogurt in a nonreactive container. Cover it with a tight fitting lid. Allow to soak overnight on the counter at room temperature. (Really, this is OK!)

 
Morning Ingredients:
  • ½ to 1 cup of filtered water
  • 1 Handful of Currants (optional)
  • Real Maple Syrup (optional, use sparingly)
  • Cream, butter, or full fat coconut milk (optional)

Directions for Cooking: Place soaked oats (and any liquid still in them) in a pan. Add filtered water for cooking. The amount seems to vary for me. I just add until the oats float a little. (You’ll know by trial and error. The more water, the longer it cooks). Add the currants, which will plump when cooked. Boil until you have the consistency you like. Serve topped with maple syrup and cream.

 
Credit where credit is due: I first read about soaking grain in Sally Fallon’s controversial, counter-mainstream nutrition and recipe book, Nourishing Traditions. However, I have since done a lot more reading on the subject. Wikipedia has a descent report on phytates, which I relied on in writing this recipe.

 
Resources:

 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, no pictures this time. I make this so often and it's such a part of my routine, I keep forgetting to take photos. I'll try to remember to post some later... or maybe someone will make it and send me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! So, what's a "non-reactive" container? Also, I would LOVE your pumpkin oats recipe. It's the overnight recipe in the crock pot. This is also an easy one it seems.
    Girl - I have so much to learn. You are my Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a plastic one right now, but a glass jar is probably a better option because it doesn't have all the chemicals or lead and is nonreactive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should also have mentioned that reheating them for the next day is really easy. Just put them in a pan on the stove with a little water. Stir and smoosh it all together as it cooks. Let it boil down to the right consistency and you have another fresh, wonderful breakfast! Tastes so much better than from a microwave!

    ReplyDelete